Wednesday 1 April 2009

Bunwell Book Launch, and more....











So much has been happening in the last few weeks I haven't even had time to update the blog.

First there was another appearance (well, an audio one) on BBC Radio Norfolk - this time as part of the Lunchtime Ladies discussion on Friday 13th March - Comic Relief day.

Then I gave a talk on Kindred Spirits at Diss Library on the 18th. A small group, but a very interested and interesting one - who would have talked on till late, had not the poor librarian finally managed to bring the dicussion to a close. It's amazing how talk of ghosts and spirits (kindred or otherwise) brings out all manner of experiences and opinions that people want to debate and share.

The Bunwell Book Launch of Kindred Spirits took place on Monday 23rd March at Bunwell Village Hall. There was a great turnout, despite hail, wind and rain, and I had a fabulous evening because it looked as if everyone else was enjoying it too. I was able to add all the local information to my normal talk, and I had the brilliant idea a couple of days beforehand, of asking the friends who I'd based characters on to read in their own dialogue as I read the excerpts. Kathy and Babs were brilliant - and Tony got double extra brownie points for appearing in costume, including fake moustache, as Henry Tinker!

The nephew of my ghost came to the Launch! I'd sent him an invitation, but he's a very old man now and I didn't know if he'd make it. At one point he hijacked my talk, telling us more about his uncle than I'd discovered before. Amazingly -- spookily? -- he said a couple of things about his uncle which I hadn't known before, and yet had written into Henry Tinker's story. One was that he came to Norfolk to buy local produce and sell it in rationed London on the black market; and the other that when "Henry's" father-in-law had died intestate, his property was broken into and money stolen. I thought I'd made up these elements of Kindred Spirits - but they were true anyway!

Then last Saturday I joined the North Norfolk Writers' Group to talk about all three of my novels - another very congenial evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment